Well, if you haven’t lost interest yet and still want to follow along, here’s where we roll up our sleeves and look under the hood.
Oh, one thing I forgot to mention. I’m pretty sure comments are turned on, not only in the separate pages but also in the individual photos too if they’re clickable. Comments are welcome so feel free to drop one.
Back in the day, shortly after this amp exploded, I did take the chassis out to assess the damages. You’ll notice in some of these chassis photos, the power transformer (PT from here on out) has been removed. Also in a futile effort to clean up the mess I scraped some of the residue off the exposed chassis pan. That was as far as I got and its been like that ever since.
PS: most of these images should open up in another tab and display a larger photo. But also at the top of each of those tabs is an option to view the full-sized image.
More of this inside chassis area, this time with the PT temporarily installed.
You’ll notice the bulk of the mess lies in the PT area. Especially the bias/rectifier board and the four 6L6 sockets:
My concern is how much of this “liquid smoke” got into the potentiometers, especially the bias pot and the last few pots on the Vibrato end:
More of the rear panel. Switch, speaker outputs, and AC receptacle:
The underside, and a view of the output transformer (OPT) and choke.
I’m pretty certain the OPT survived (thank goodness). The choke however definitely had a meltdown:
Here’s where you can see arcing across pins 2 & 3. Apparently all that electricity was in a hurry to get somewhere:
Oddly enough… other than the filter caps needing to be replaced, as per standard maintenance anyways, inside the doghouse looks pristine:
More of the underside with the choke removed.
And finally, back to the main board:
Time to start tearing this down…